September 29, 2019 – 10am to 5pm
Can you believe that the Yorktown Art Stroll will be celebrating it’s eighth year! We’ve come a long way since the first Stroll with 25 participants. It has grown over the years both in size and popularity. We try to make this art show affordable for artists who don’t usually do shows but want to sell their work to the public. We provide an indoor and covered space for them to set up and sell.
This year there are a couple of new changes that will hopefully entice more artists to participate. We have changed the HOURS! The new hours will be 10 AM to 5 PM.
We are also going to try and incorporate more spaces in and around the businesses on Riverwalk. This will give the artist more support not only from the Stroll staff but from support from the local shops. This will call for some unusual placement outside and spread the Stroll around on the riverfront. When you send in your application, we will give you a list of where you can be set up and will help you choose where your work can be displayed. This pertains mainly to the people who will be outside with their own tents.
Of course, we will have the volunteers there to help you unload and get into your space. We will provide lunch for each PARTICIPATING ARTISTS. We cannot feed everyone who comes to help with your booth.
If you have friends who might be interested in participating in the Stroll feel free to pass along an application and contract to them. We will try to reach as many people as we can so we can support the arts in our area!
Thank you, Kathleen Wahl Art Stroll Chair
The Yorktown Art Stroll will take place Sunday, SEPTEMBER 29, 2019 10am to 5pm on Riverwalk Landing and in the Freight Shed located on the historic York River on Water Street.
Mark the last Sunday in September on your calendar and take a walk among local artists and their displays. Booths will be filled with original art: oil, acrylic, watercolor paintings, glass, drawings, photography, jewelry, pottery, painted furniture, fiber art, handmade soap and wood work.
This event is free and open to the public. Sponsored by the Yorktown Arts Foundation, York County, and through special funding from the Yorktown Arts Commission.
Terry Buntrock, Arts Director for Williamsburg/James City County gave this event its founding name in 2011 during a meeting held in the old courthouse in Yorktown. York County had dedicated September as “Arts Month”. Kathleen Wahl, President of Yorktown Arts Foundation, in coordination with Kristi Olsen, York County Tourism began collaborating with county representatives, business owners, and marketing/advertising representatives for this first time event.
The goals for this event were multiple: to carry out the mission of the Yorktown Arts Foundation in supporting local artists, and the sale of their work, and support local businesses along Riverwalk Landing in Yorktown. This first time event resulted in a blending of local businesses, tourism and art. People leisurely stroll about shopping and talking to the artists in the Freight Shed, local businesses and alcoves along Water Street in Yorktown.
From its inception, Kathleen Wahl has tried to maintain a personal relationship with each artist. Yorktown Arts Foundation uses volunteers to help artists load and unload vehicles, provide water/snacks to artists, and relieve artists to stretch their legs. Come find artists nestled in and around Riverwalk Landing, as well as entertainment for your enjoyment. We hope you will join us.
If you are a new artist to the Art Stroll, or a previous artist working in a new medium, please submit 3 photos of your work to email@example.com, or mail them with an application and signed contract.
- All applicants must be 18 years of age or older
- All work must be hand crafted by the artist or craftsperson, and the person must be in attendance at the Yorktown Art Stroll
- All items displayed or sold must fall into “Fine Arts” or “Original Handcrafts” categories
- No kits and commercially manufactured merchandise, affiliates of companies, imported merchandise, novelty sales items, including balloon, inflatable toys, and anything that is perceived as a weapon, wholesale and retail items
- All artists are responsible for their own work and space
- All exhibitors must read, sign, and return a contract and pay entry fee. Yorktown Arts Foundation and York County reserve the right to ensure that all rules of the contract are being followed. Failure to follow rules so will result in termination from this and future events.
- All artist and crafts persons shall be responsible for collecting Virginia sales tax and submission of reports to the Virginia Department of Taxations. No commissions will be collected on sales
Space availability and assignment
Each booth is equivalent to a 10’ x 10’ area, and will be assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. No tables, displays, or chairs will be provided. Only single spaces available for inside the Shed, Tent, and shops.
Fees and Deadline
- Lawn on Water Street: $35 members/ $75 non-members
- Inside the Freight Shed and the Freight Shed Tent: $45 members/$85 non-members
- Inside a Riverwalk Landing Shop/Business: $30 members/ $70 non-members
Please make checks payable to the Yorktown Arts Foundation. Mail your registration fee, application, and signed contract to this address: Yorktown Arts Foundation (Attn: Kathleen Wahl), PO BOX 657, Yorktown, VA 23690. All paperwork and fees must be received by August 1, 2019.
The non-member fee includes $40 for a one-year membership in the Yorktown Arts Foundation.
Set up Times
Sunday, September 29, 2019 from 7 to 9:30am, break down times 5pm to 6:30pm. All exhibitors need to stay to the end of the Stroll.