Thank you for your interest in On the Hill Gallery!
The following information is intended to give you an understanding of what types of artwork are eligible for display and sale in the gallery and the jurying process.
Opportunities exist to become involved and engaged with your fellow artists, local art patrons and those visiting Yorktown to experience all our area has to offer. We look forward to exploring ways in which you can become involved with our organization.
• Artists 18 years and older living in the Peninsula and Tidewater region are eligible
• Eligible 2D work includes watercolor, oil, acrylic, drawing, encaustic, mixed media, printmaking and stained glass
• Eligible 3D work includes clay and porcelain pottery and sculpture, fiber arts, basketry, decorative painted items, woodturning, jewelry, sculpture in wood, metal, glass or mixed media
• All entries must be for sale
• The gallery is responsible for collecting and paying the 6% Virginia State sales tax
• On the Hill Gallery reserves the right to exclude artwork that may be inappropriate for all audiences
• Although every care will be taken by the gallery, liability cannot be assumed for loss or damage of submitted works. It is suggested that artists wishing protection insure their works independently
• Artists accepted to display and sell in the gallery on an ongoing basis are expected become members of the gallery by paying the membership fee, completing a Membership Application and Artist Contract
• Unless notification in writing is provided to the contrary, it is understood that images of accepted artwork may be photographed and reproduced for promotional purposes
• Works must be original, completed within the last two years and may not infringe upon another’s copyright
• If photo references are used, they must be the artist’s own or used by permission of the photographer
• In addition to staffing the gallery, as members, artists are encouraged to become involved by serving on a committee, teaching, demonstrating techniques or lecturing. On the Hill Gallery provides a unique opportunity for the artist members to benefit from having a presence in the gallery and the arts community
•The Jury consists of at least three members of the YAF Gallery Operations Committee
• For the present time, all work must be brought in to the gallery to be juried; currently, digital images are not acceptable for jurying
• If you have a specific question about what is acceptable/unacceptable, pleaseread On the Hill Standards, which addresses details regarding individual media
• Artists should complete the Artist Application to Exhibit in the Gallery and the Artist Questionnaire. If available, please provide a resume and artist statement
• Artists who wish to jury, may do so by submitting an application by mail to On the Hill Gallery. We will contact you and schedule an appointment
Thank you again for your interest! We hope you will consider participating in the promotion of regional art in our community.